Sunday, November 9, 2008

My DMV Keepsake

I hate taking pictures, ESPECIALLY at the DMV. There's no instant feedback like you would get from a digital camera and the "photographer" always seems to be the grumpiest DMV employee in the building. The thought that I'm gonna be stuck with this picture for four more years brings so much pressure for me to bring out my inner photogenic diva. It just feels so permanent. I keep telling myself that I only have one shot to make it good. My "checklist brain" remembers to comb my hair, smile, keep my eyes open, stare in the right direction and ignore the twitch on the side of my face. Anyway, my license arrived in the mail within a week. As I anxiously looked to see how my picture turned out (at least I was looking in the right direction), I couldn't help to notice one thing. My driver's licence reflected just how much has happened in the past four years. In four years, I got married, changed my last name and purchased a home where I have become a mother to two beautiful children. These past four years have been an amazing journey and I can't help to imagine what the next four years will bring us. I smile at the driver's license and then regretted for being too damn honest with my weight.

No comments: